Crime & Safety
Southington Man Made Bombs/Fireworks: Police
The 49-year-old was injured in a fireworks accident at a Southington residence back in June and he was charged Sept. 29.

SOUTHINGTON, CT — A Southington man injured in a fireworks accident last June has now been charged with the illegal manufacturing and sale of fireworks, among other charges.
The Southington Police Department Monday afternoon said Peter Demaria, 49, of Vermont Terrace, Southington, was charged with risk of injury to a minor; first-degree reckless endangerment; sale, use and possession of prohibited fireworks; and manufacture of bombs.
He was charged with those offenses last Friday, Sept. 29, and was released on $25,000 bond. He will appear in New Britain Superior Court Oct. 13.
Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
According to the SPD, police were called to 27 Vermont Terrace on June 23 for a report of a person injured by fireworks.
Police learned that Demaria was "seriously injured" after shooting off a "large-caliber flare device."
Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
This, police said, also caused minor damage to the home after it was hit.
Meanwhile, police said investigators found several residents of the multi-family home, including children, were present.
As they probed the incident, investigators with the SPD and Southington Fire Department found many illegal fireworks and materials used to make fireworks/explosives in a garage beneath the multi-family house.
As a result, the SFD and State Police Fire & Explosive Investigation Unit were called in to "remediate this hazardous situation," police said.
"The investigation resulted in multiple search warrants that revealed Demaria was manufacturing some of the munitions recovered as evidence," police wrote in a statement Monday.
Demaria turned himself in to the police late last week.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.