Crime & Safety
Delivery Men Caught Stealing Packages: Police
West Hartford Police say the men were making deliveries for W.B. Mason.

Two Hartford men face charges after they were caught stealing packages from West Hartford homes while making deliveries for W.B. Mason, according to police.
West Hartford Police arrested Jonathan Mendez, 25, and Anthony Ortiz-Malave, 21, in connection to two thefts and are investigating if they are connected to other package thefts in town. Police said the men work for a sub-contractor that males deliveries for W.B. Mason.
At about 12:40 p.m. on Wednesday, a Somerset Street resident saw a white van pull up in front of his house and watched as the man exited the van and walked toward his home. The man was then seen grabbing two packages that had been delivered earlier.
Find out what's happening in West Hartfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Police said the homeowner confronted the man, who dropped the packages and went back to the van.
The homeowner took down the van’s license plate number and had his wife call the West Hartford Police Department.
Find out what's happening in West Hartfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Sergeant Brett Balisciano located the van on I-84 and was able to stop the van with the assistance of the Hartford Police Department.
Police said Mendez, the driver, and Ortiz-Malave were found in the van along with a package that had been stolen from another address in West Hartford on Westgate Street.
Both men were arrested and police recovered about $200 worth of property.
“The department would like to remind people to report any suspicious activity in their area and to remove packages from their front porches as soon as possible,” Lt. Ted Stoneburner said. “The department is currently investigating to see if these suspects are connected to other package thefts that have occurred in town.”
Mendez, of 32 Sanford Street, Hartford, was arrested on charges of sixth-degree larceny and criminal attempt at sixth-degree larceny.
Ortiz-Malave, of 7 Nelson Street, Hartford, was also charged with sixth-degree larceny and criminal attempt at sixth-degree larceny.
They were both released with a court date of Dec. 16.
Pictured: Jonathan Mendez, 25, (left) and Anthony Ortiz-Malave, 21. West Hartford Police Department photos.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.