Crime & Safety
Cuban Man Stranded At Sea Rescued By Coast Guard, Tanker
The 69-year-old man was stranded at sea for four days after Tropical Storm Eta.

KEY WEST, FL — The U.S. Coast Guard and a motor tanker rescued a Cuban man who was pulled out to sea by Tropical Storm Eta on Friday, the Coast Guard said in a news release. The man was found drifting at sea about 61 miles southeast of Key West.
Coast Guard District 7 watchstanders were notified by the motor tanker Ocean Pearl’s crew that they had rescued a 69-year-old Cuban man who had been stranded at sea for about four days, the release said.
The Coast Guard Cutter Charles Sexton crew met with the Ocean Pearl crew to safely bring the man, who was uninjured, to Cuban authorities on Saturday.
Find out what's happening in Miamifor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"We want to thank the crew of the Ocean Pearl for rescuing this man,” said Lt. Mark Tatara, commanding officer of the Charles Sexton. “It was great coordination and partnerships in getting this man back to his family and friends. And with any mariner, we want to remind them to check the weather before going out. Tell someone where you are going and when you'll be back, wear a life jacket, ensure your safety gear is up to date, and have a registered emergency position indicator radio beacon on board."
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.