Politics & Government

Governor Lifts Part of Zika Ban Over Miami Beach

Area gets an early holiday gift.

MIAMI BEACH, FL — Gov. Rick Scott announced on Tuesday afternoon that he is lifting the Zika zone over part of Miami Beach.

The zone no longer includes the locations north of 28th Street to 63rd Street. But the Zika zone remains in effect over South Beach — an area of about 1.5 square miles between Eighth and 28th streets.

“I am proud to announce that three miles of the impacted area in Miami Beach have now been cleared of any ongoing active transmission of the Zika virus," Scott said on Tuesday, noting that the Florida Department of Health as well as state and local officials in general know much more about the virus since the ban was put into place.

Find out what's happening in Miami Beachfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The other remaining area of active Zika transmission in Miami-Dade County is the Little River section of nearby Miami — a 1-square-mile stretch between NW 79th Street to the north, NW 63rd Street to the south, NW 10th Avenue to the west and N. Miami Avenue to the east.

Tuesday's announcement came just days before the traditional start of the heaviest tourist season in Miami Beach. Despite Zika concerns, Florida set a tourism record this year with an estimated 85 million people visiting in the first nine months of the year.

Find out what's happening in Miami Beachfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"DOH now believes active transmissions of Zika are only occurring in the southern part of Miami Beach and the Little River area and we must continue to take aggressive mosquito control measures so we can soon lift these remaining areas," Scott said. "DOH has made resources available to Miami-Dade County to increase mosquito abatement efforts, including aerial spraying. All of these resources should be taken into consideration by local officials and it is crucial that every decision is based on what will best protect our residents and visitors, and most importantly, pregnant women."

Asked whether the coming Trump administration will make a difference in Florida's fight against Zika, Scott said, "I'm optimistic that now I have somebody I can call." The governor, who met with President-elect Donald Trump last week, said he he is optimistic that he will be able to "get things done quickly" once the new administration takes over in January.

While Congress passed — and President Obama signed — funding in September, Scott said that Florida is still waiting for the federal government to send $7 million to help reimburse costs incurred by the state.

"This is typical of Washington — they drag their feet, even when it comes to funding a public health emergency," according to Scott. "While DOH continues to work through the bureaucratic and highly complex approval process for federal funding, I continue to request the federal government to expedite more funding to our state since Florida is the only state in the country with active transmission of the Zika virus."

The Department of Health has not detected any cases of local transmission of the Zika virus in more than 45 days in the newly cleared area, which is a 3-mile stretch between 28th and 63rd streets.

The last known person to contract Zika in this area did so on Sept. 27.

Photo of Gov. Rick Scott.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Miami Beach