Politics & Government

Miami Beach Orders Barricades Following Barcelona Attack

Miami Beach has ordered temporary concrete barriers along the entrances to its popular Lincoln Road outdoor pedestrian entertainment area.

MIAMI BEACH, FL — In the aftermath of last week's terror attack in Barcelona, the city of Miami Beach has ordered temporary concrete barriers along the entrances to its popular Lincoln Road outdoor pedestrian entertainment area. The Spanish city suffered a massive terror attack on Thursday when a white van went barreling along the Las Ramblas promenade, killing 13 pedestrians and injuring more than 120 others. Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine announced the increased security measures on Tuesday.

Miami Beach Patch

See also First Responders Train For Unthinkable On South Beach

"The safety and security of our residents and visitors continues to be a top priority," Levine said in a statement. "Following last week's tragedy in Barcelona, the city's police chief, fire chief and public works director were tasked to evaluate our public spaces with high-volume pedestrian traffic for vulnerabilities to a vehicle attack. This evaluation is ongoing and will include consideration of both temporary and long-term permanent security upgrades." (Sign up for our free Daily Newsletters and Breaking News Alerts for the Miami Beach Patch.)

Find out what's happening in Miami Beachfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

With its many outdoor cafes, movie theaters and shops, Lincoln Road is a favorite spot for both visitors and locals around the Miami area. It is less touristy than other areas like nearby Ocean Drive and Washington Avenue, which recently was the scene of a mock terror drill.

Like your Miami Beach Patch

Find out what's happening in Miami Beachfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"While the city-wide assessment is underway, temporary concrete barriers will be placed along the curb line on the Alton Road and Washington Avenue entrances to the Lincoln Road pedestrian mall," Levine said. "The barriers will be temporary, until a more permanent and aesthetically pleasing option can be implemented as part of the eventual redesign of Lincoln Road."

Levine said that the increased security measures will be put in place as quickly as possible.

"We will continue to expedite all the necessary measures to protect our residents and guests," he said. "It is important to understand that full security details will not be disclosed due to the sensitivity of this information."


See Also: Spanish Police Say They've Killed Suspected Driver In Barcelona Attack


Photo by Paul Scicchitano

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Miami Beach