Crime & Safety
Patrols Increased After Osprey Shooting
Investigators have exhausted all leads in the case of an osprey that was found shot to death in Palm Harbor's Cobb's Landing subdivision.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Officers (FWC) have increased patrols in the Cobb's Landing and Cobb Acres subdivisions after an osprey was found shot last week. Ospreys are protected by Florida statute and federal law.
Barb Walker, who is a Audubon Society volunteer and a called FWC dispatch on April 23 to report a dead osprey on the sidewalk at 3539 Shoreline Circle. An FWC investigator took the osprey to veterinarians at Busch Gardens, who determined the osprey had been shot, according to Officer Robert Scholl, FWC Spokesperson.
Scholl says he and the investigator interviewed many Cobb's Landing residents and followed up on leads they received about the case. However, no arrests have been made in the investigation.
Find out what's happening in Palm Harborfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"We've taken it above and beyond any other wildlife case investigation… We've exhausted all leads, but it does not mean we won't find the person who did this," said Scholl.
In response to the shooting, members of the community have started their own neighborhood bird watch group. They are also monitoring local nests in the neighborhood.
Find out what's happening in Palm Harborfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
If anyone has information that might help investigators, call the FWC Wildlife Reward Alert Hotline at 888-404-FWCC.
The reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual(s) responsible stands at $720. Additional reward money is available through the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's Wildlife Alert .
Related Story-
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.
