Crime & Safety

GBI Cuts Ribbon On Morgue Expansion

The project doubled the cooling space for autopsies and increased office space for doctors and death investigation specialists.

DECATUR, GA -- The Georgia Bureau of Investigation on Wednesday cut the ribbon on its morgue expansion project in Decatur. The 17,511-square-foot project for the Medical Examiner’s Office creates much needed storage capacity, essentially doubling the cooler space for autopsy cases and increasing office space for the doctors and death investigation specialists, the GBI said.

The Medical Examiner's Office provides complete forensic pathology services to 153 of Georgia’s 159 counties in deaths which qualify as coroner cases under the Georgia Death Investigation Act. The current building had reached maximum capacity due to the growth in the state's population and an increase in the volume of cases the GBI’s medical examiners and death investigation specialists have had to address, the GBI previously said.

The $6.68 million project was funded by the Georgia General Assembly approved by Gov. Nathan Deal. The GBI’s Staff Services section partnered with Piedmont General Contractors during the 14-month project.

Find out what's happening in Decatur-Avondale Estatesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Today’s ceremony included comments from Gov. Deal, GBI Director Vernon Keenan and
Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jonathan Eisenstat. Georgia Board of Public Safety Vice Chairman Ellis Wood, State Senator John Albers, State Representative Mandi Ballinger, Senator Kay Kirkpatrick and Representative Alan Powell’s office were also in attendance.


Image via Georgia Bureau of Investigation

Find out what's happening in Decatur-Avondale Estatesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Decatur-Avondale Estates