This post was contributed by a community member. The views expressed here are the author's own.

Politics & Government

Oconee County Administrative Officer Rescinds Order That Restricted Media Access of Department Heads

Jeff Benko had issued a directive on April 3 that department heads clear statements to the media with him in advance.

Oconee County Administrative Officer Jeff Benko said on Wednesday that he has rescinded his order that department heads limit their comments to the media.

Benko said he lifted the restriction on April 15, the day that the county released to me a copy of the email message Benko sent to department heads on April 3 telling them not to make statements to “the press” without clearing those statements in advance with him.

Benko said in an email message sent on Wednesday afternoon that “at the Department Directors’ meeting, 4/15/15, I gave a full explanation why I issued it, and effective that day rescinded it.”

County Clerk Jane Greathouse told me earlier on Wednesday that the county had no email or any written record of the action by Benko.

Benko appears to have rescinded his directive orally.

For more on this story, go to Oconee County Observations.

Pictured: Benko, left, and Greathouse at a commission meeting earlier this year.

The views expressed in this post are the author's own. Want to post on Patch?

More from Oconee