Politics & Government
Sandy Springs Council Defers Hines Mixed Use Project
The delay will give city staff and council time to review a proposal by the applicant to reduce the overall density of the project.

A large mixed-use project up for consideration by the Sandy Springs City Council has once again been delayed.
The council on Tuesday unanimously voted to defer for 30 days a request from Hines to rezone 14.31 acres to allow for the development of 150,000 square feet of retail space, 1.5 million square feet of office space, a 250-room hotel and a 500-unit multi-family structure.
The company is also requesting a permit to operate a 25-story and 50-story office buildings, a 25-story multi-family building and 25-story hotel.
Find out what's happening in Sandy Springsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The council deferred the project, as the applicant presented a revised proposal that would reduce the overall density of the project.
The vacant land is bordered by Georgia 400 to the west, Peachtree Dunwoody Road to the east, Abernathy Road to the north and Mount Vernon Highway to the south.
Find out what's happening in Sandy Springsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Nathan Hendricks, attorney for the applicant, said his client has been informed of the issues and concerns residents have regarding density and the project’s impact on traffic and has worked to be responsive to that feedback.
As such, Mark Ferris, managing director with Hines, outlined proposed reductions he would be willing to move forward with:
- Reducing the apartment space from 500 units to 325 units.
- Slashing the office space from 1.5 million square feet to 1.35 million square feet.
- Cutting the retail space from 150,000 square feet to 100,000 square feet.
Ferris also said the company would be willing to cut the office building’s height from 50 stories to 42 stories.
The project had been delayed in July, as the council requested additional information about the project’s impact on traffic in the area. This latest deferral will allow the city staff, council and residents time to review and verify the applicant’s latest numbers.
Councilman Gabriel Sterling, who represents the area where the property is located, said that while he’s frustrated Hines waited so late in the game to present this new information, he added he’s inclined to defer the project again to see if this proposal can be done the right way.
Councilman John Paulson said he believed the concept presents a “great direction” for this and surrounding properties should move towards, and any reduction in traffic patterns to and from the development would be a welcome outcome.
(Photo credit: Shutterstock)
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.