Crime & Safety

14-Year-Old Nabbed Following Gunshot Reports In Mount Prospect: Police

A Des Plaines man is also accused of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, mob action after last week's incident.

MOUNT PROSPECT, IL — Following reports of gunshots being heard in the area, police charged two people in connection with the evening incident last week. A 14-year-old juvenile is accused of one felony count of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, felony possession of cannabis and a misdemeanor charge of unlawful possession of an unserialized firearm. Marco Arce, Jr., 20, of the 400 block of Leslie Court, Des Plaines, is accused of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, mob action, and one misdemeanor count of possession of a catalytic converter.

Mount Prospect police are continuing to investigate the incident and said there are no reported injuries.

According to police, officers were dispatched at 9:05 p.m. April 26, following reports of gunshots being heard in the 300 block of Hawthorne Circle. Another caller said they saw five males get into a sedan and flee the area toward Dempster Street.

Find out what's happening in Arlington Heightsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Police eventually conducted a traffic stop on that vehicle. As the vehicle stopped, two of the passengers reportedly jumped from the vehicle and fled on foot. The driver, identified as Arce, and two passengers aged 14 and 17, did not flee. Police discovered an unserialized handgun, or "ghost gun," in the possession of the 14-year-old juvenile passenger. A search of the vehicle also turned up a large amount of cannabis. All three individuals were taken into custody and transported back to the Mount Prospect police headquarters

Police continued to check the area, but were unable to locate any victims or anyone else involved or associated with this incident. Officers did locate and collected shell casings from the 500 block of Dempster Street, as well as the 2800 block of Malmo Drive, located adjacent to one another. They also found damage to a nearby business on Malmo Drive, which is consistent with being struck by a bullet.

Find out what's happening in Arlington Heightsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

During the investigation, police said the 14-year-old juvenile also claimed ownership of the cannabis located in the vehicle. They were taken to the Cook County Juvenile Detention Center in Chicago. The other juvenile in the vehicle was turned over to their parents pending further investigation.

Arce was released after posting a cash bond, pending further investigation. A court date of May 22 was assigned.

Police are asking anyone with information or anyone who has any video footage that might assist with this investigation is asked to call the Mount Prospect Police Department Special Response Team at 847-870-5656.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.