Aurora, IL
News Feed
Events
Local Businesses
Classifieds
Crime & Safety

3 Loaded Guns Recovered, 2 Teens Charged: Aurora Police

One gun, equipped with a machine gun conversion device, had been reported stolen, police said.

Johnathan Rios, 18, of Aurora. (Aurora Police Department)

AURORA, IL — Two teens, ages 15 and 18, were charged after an Aurora police investigation led to the recovery of three loaded handguns, officials said Tuesday.

The arrest of 18-year-old Johnathan Rios and a 15-year-old boy stemmed from a foot chase May 14 on Aurora's East Side, police said.

Subscribe

On Thursday, police "developed information regarding individuals allegedly displaying firearms in Aurora neighborhoods," according to a news release. Police identified the teens for their involvement and later monitored them during surveillance operations on a residence, officials said.

At about 8:32 p.m., Special Operations Group investigators attempted to make contact with the teens near the intersection of North East Avenue and Fulton Street. The teens fled on foot after police identified themsevles, officials said.

"During the pursuit, investigators observed behavior consistent with both subjects being armed," the department said in a news release.

The boy was apprehended after a brief pursuit, and police found a silver-and-black Glock 43X 9mm handgun loaded with a 10-round magazine inside his waistband, police said.

Rios continued running through nearby yards before he was caught. During the pursuit, police saw him discard two firearms near a fence. Officers recovered a .45-caliber Glock loaded with 13 rounds and a stolen .40-caliber Glock with a machine gun conversion device and a 29-round extended magazine containing three live rounds, officials said.

Rios was also carrying a box of 50 rounds of .40-caliber ammunition. Neither he nor the boy had a valid Firearm Owner's Identification card or concealed carry license, police said.

Rios, of Aurora, was charged with the following:

A 15-year-old boy faces these charges:

The investigation continues, and additional charges are possible, pending further forensic analysis and digital evidence review, police said.

"The proactive work by our Special Operations Group investigators directly led to the recovery of multiple illegal firearms from our streets, including a stolen handgun outfitted with a machine gun conversion device capable of significantly increasing its rate of fire," Police Chief Matt Thomas said in a statement. "This case highlights the dangers associated with illegal firearms possession and the importance of proactive enforcement efforts aimed at preventing violence before it occurs."

More from Aurora, IL
News | 1d
News | 4h
News | 22h
See more on Patch >

Sign up for free local newsletters and alerts for the
Aurora, IL Patch

Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news.
Visit Patch.com to find your town today.

©2026 Patch Media. All Rights Reserved

Do Not Sell My Personal Information