Business & Tech

Lawsuit Filed In Chicago Over L.L. Bean's New Return Policy

An Illinois man claims the company's new policy is "deceptive and unfair."

CHICAGO, IL — An Illinois man is suing L.L. Bean over its new return policy. The lawsuit claims the company broke a vow to its customers and is in breach of warranty. The lawsuit was filed in federal court in Chicago on Monday.

L.L. Bean ended its lifetime return policy last week. The company said the policy allowed customers to return products any time after they were purchased. The outfitter is now imposing a one-year limit on returns, accompanied with a proof of purchase.

L.L. Bean said a small but growing number of customers had been interpreting their guarantee beyond its original intent, saying some viewed it as a "lifetime product replacement program." The company said some customers expected refunds on heavily worn products or those bought at yard sales.

Find out what's happening in Chicagofor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The man who filed the lawsuit, Victor Bondi, said he's been a loyal L.L. Bean customer. He's seeking class-action status for the suit. The lawsuit said customers who bought items before the new policy announcement did so with the understanding that they could be returned at any time in the future.

L.L. Bean said the lawsuit misrepresents the new refund policy, and that purchases made before its announcement on Feb. 9 are not subject to the new policy, as long as there's proof of purchase.

Find out what's happening in Chicagofor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The suit seeks unspecified damages or an order that L.L. Bean honor the old warranty.

Photo by Robert F. Bukaty/AP

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.