Crime & Safety
Sex Offender Charged In Home Invasion, Sex Assault
The 25-year-old sexually assaulted a woman last week in an Elgin apartment, authorities said.

ELGIN, IL – A 25-year-old registered sex offender is accused of forcing his way into an apartment in Elgin last week and sexually assaulting a woman, the Daily Herald reports. The woman told police she did not know the man, who was later identified as Anthony G. Onofre, 25, and who allegedly attacked her in an apartment in the 700 block of Walnut Avenue. She called to report the assault at 9:24 a.m. on Nov. 20, according to the Daily Herald.
He is charged with three counts of criminal sexual assault and home invasion and, as of Tuesday afternoon, remained in custody on a $500,000 bail, according to online court records.
Onofre is listed as a sexual predator on the Illinois Sex Offender registry for an aggravated criminal sexual assault charge in Cook County. He was 21 years old at the time of that assault and the victim was 27.
Find out what's happening in Elginfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Onofre is next expected in court on Dec. 5 in the recent assault and home invasion case.
Find out what's happening in Elginfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.