Politics & Government

Elmhurst Settles In Trip-And-Fall Case

An alderman explains why he voted against the agreement.

Jane Cushing tripped and fell in the 400 block of South Prospect Avenue on May 20, 2020, according to a settlement agreement.
Jane Cushing tripped and fell in the 400 block of South Prospect Avenue on May 20, 2020, according to a settlement agreement. (Google Maps)

ELMHURST, IL – A woman was the recipient of $48,000 from the city of Elmhurst as part of a settlement in a trip-and-fall case.

According to the agreement, Jane Cushing was listed as the woman who fell May 20, 2020, on a public sidewalk in the 400 block of South Prospect Avenue.

Earlier this week, the City Council approved the settlement, but gave no details, other than the amount.

Find out what's happening in Elmhurstfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Alderman Michael Honquest was the only one to vote against the agreement. In an interview with Patch on Thursday, he said he was tired of the city settling cases.

"There are liability cases that continue to come to the city. The city tends to settle them. Most entities do. It's more expensive to go to court than to settle," Honquest said.

Find out what's happening in Elmhurstfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

He said he understood the woman was injured in the fall. But at the same time, he said all taxpayers foot the bill for the settlement.

Cushing sued the city after she fell, but she is dropping the claim in return for the money. The city admitted no liability.

Under the agreement's terms, Cushing is barred from disclosing or publishing anything about the settlement, except with her lawyers and accountants.

The city agreed not to publish a news release.

Under state law, the agreement is considered public record.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.