EVANSTON, IL — Federal prosecutors on Thursday dismissed all remaining counts against the “Broadview Six” after U.S. District Judge April Perry reviewed unredacted grand jury transcripts and said she was “incredibly shocked” by what they showed, the Chicago Tribune reported.
According to the Tribune, Perry said she had “never seen the types of prosecutorial behavior before a grand jury that I saw in those transcripts.” The transcripts described a federal prosecutor “vouching” for the evidence, telling grand jurors who disagreed with the government’s theory they could leave, and having “ex parte” communications with a juror outside the proceedings.
The case stemmed from a Sept. 26, 2025, protest outside the Broadview ICE facility, where prosecutors had alleged six defendants impeded a federal vehicle.
In court Thursday, U.S. Attorney Andrew Boutros announced the government was dismissing the remaining misdemeanor counts, which had been set for trial next week.
“I will tell your honor that as upset as you are, and have been, I too had not seen conduct like that, and it upset me which is why we did dismiss that indictment,” Boutros said.
Perry said there was a “potential” for “sanctions for prosecutorial misconduct and for potential ethical violations, including lack of candor to the court,” but did not set a timetable.
Read more from the Chicago Tribune: Grand jury improprieties revealed in court as ‘Broadview Six’ case unravels
Sign up for free local newsletters and alerts for the
Evanston, IL Patch
Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news.
Visit Patch.com to find your town today.