Politics & Government

Unexpected Offer May Stop Controversial Currie Ford Expansion

After nearby residents spoke out against a proposed Currie Ford parking lot expansion during a public hearing Thursday, a local property owner offered his land as a potential site for the dealership.

The Frankfort Plan Commission public hearing Thursday evening to discuss the contentious parking lot expansion proposed by Currie Motors Ford of Frankfort yielded an unexpected potential solution.

In the final moments of Thursday’s meeting, Bill Bright, whose father-in-law owns a piece of land at the intersection of 95th Avenue and Lincoln Highway, west of Currie Ford, said that he would be willing to consider leasing the property to the dealership on a long-term basis. This offer could render the pre-existing proposal that caused so much local unrest irrelevant.

“Currie has always been interested in buying contiguous property,” said Matthew Creen, who served as general counsel for Currie Ford at the meeting. “This property has never been available.”

Find out what's happening in Frankfortfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The dealership has intermittently leased the property for several years, Creen said, continuously so for the past year. However, the owner of the property had never before discussed selling it.

“The timing is quite odd and almost suspicious,” said Plan Commission Member John Newton. “Certainly there’s no reason for me to be optimistic.”

Find out what's happening in Frankfortfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

It was determined by the commission that Thursday’s hearing will remain open and that the issue will be revisited at the next commission meeting on March 14.

Residents have aggressively objected to the previously proposed project, which would require the rezoning of two residential lots along 95th Avenue as commercial property, since it came before the plan commission on Jan. 10.

At the Jan. 22 Frankfort Village Board meeting, community members presented a petition of opposition with 140 signatures and spoke out against the expansion, which would encroach on an area that is currently entirely residential.

Should Currie return to its original plan, the commission will once again have to assess whether or not to recommend the rezoning, major planned unique development change, special use permit and final plat approval for the 95th Avenue properties.

If approved, the project would be the second parking lot expansion for Currie Motors in less than a year. The village board approved the creation of a storage lot with a 200-car capacity in July. Prior to the July approval, the site of the parking area was zoned residential.

Many homeowners on 95th Avenue, 94th Avenue, Cambridge Court and Lawndale Court are adamantly opposed to the most recent proposed development.

“There’s panic in the neighborhood,” said resident Ed Phalen. “People are worried about their property values.”

Keith Weyker, whose home is located next door to the site of the proposed lot, said that his house was assessed at $295,000 in 2010, but that a more recent assessment valued the home at $50,000 less than that amount, in light of the discussion surrounding Currie Ford’s proposed expansion.

Residents also spoke about concerns regarding crime, car fires, pollution, speeding from car haulers and semis and noise from car horns and loudspeakers at Thursday’s public hearing.

“Whenever commercial and residential come together, there’s going to be clashes,” said Creen. “I know we never will perfectly address every single concern that a neighbor brings up.”

The new lot would be used for storage only and would not add to neighborhood traffic, according to Creen.

Creen also said that the dealership has looked at alternative sites, but prohibitive costs, water retention issues and the desire for lot contiguity with the dealership have proved to be roadblocks.

Since the last commission meeting, where residents first expressed concern about the project, Currie Ford has changed its proposal to add landscaping along 95th Avenue, decrease the wattage on outdoor lighting and reduce the lot’s capacity from 172 cars to 166 cars.

Currie Ford has also included a provision of plat of subdivision with use restriction in the proposal. This would unite the two current residential lots and restrict future commercial building in the area.

Get news alerts and Facebook updates from these Lincoln-Way Patch sites:

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.