HINSDALE, IL – In 2023, a top Hinsdale official said he wished the village had gone out to bid for a new garbage contract.
Instead, Hinsdale stuck with the longtime hauler, awarding it a three-year pact.
This time, the village didn't repeat that experience.
Late last year, the village went out to bid for the garbage contract, which Phoenix-based Republic Service has held since 2007.
Now, the staff is recommending that the Village Board choose Oakbrook Terrace-based Flood Brothers.
Besides Flood and Republic, three other firms – Groot, LRS and SBC – bid.
The village said the top proposals came from Flood and Republic.
Flood Brothers' proposal includes a first-year reduction of 6 percent to 9 percent for the most common service levels, according to a village memo. Residents would then see average annual hikes of 3.5 percent for the second and third years.
Republic also offered rates lower than its current Hinsdale prices, but the company's offer remained above Flood's.
For its monthly 65-gallon service, Flood offered a price about 60 cents cheaper in the third year than Republic's current rate.
According to the memo, Flood's proposal is about 2 percent less than Republic's.
If the Village Board approves the new contract, it would start Nov. 1.
Flood would provide residents with new containers in the couple of weeks leading up to the transition. Republic is expected to collect its toters during the same time.
In 2023, Hinsdale officials expressed reservations about the "steep" rate increases in a proposed garbage contract with Republic.
At the time, then-Village President Tom Cauley said he would like to go out to bid for the contract in three years. In the last go-around, he said the village didn't have enough time to do so.
Sign up for free local newsletters and alerts for the
Hinsdale, IL Patch
Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news.
Visit Patch.com to find your town today.