Politics & Government
Stop NorthPoint Lawsuit: 'We Are Asking A Court To Evaluate'
On Tuesday, Will County Judge John Anderson recused himself from handling the Stop NorthPoint against the city of Joliet.
JOLIET, IL — Lawyers representing the Stop NorthPoint coalition learned Tuesday that Will County Judge John Anderson will not be handling any further legal proceedings in the group's lawsuit against the city of Joliet to stop the construction project from happening.
At Tuesday's court hearing, Anderson recused himself from the lawsuit informing lawyers for both sides that Anderson has a number of close relatives who oppose the NorthPoint Development planned on Joliet's southern corridor near Elwood and Manhattan.
According to Erin Gallagher, the spokesperson for Stop NorthPoint LLC, the lawsuit has been reassigned to Will County Associate Judge Ted Jarz.
Find out what's happening in Jolietfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Gallagher said that Stop NorthPoint intends to file an amended complaint to add more counts and additional plaintiffs to its lawsuit against Joliet.
“Given what has transpired since the original filing there have been a series of events that we are asking a court to evaluate,” said Erin Gallagher, volunteer spokesperson for Stop NorthPoint.
The next court lawsuit is tentatively set for 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 2 via Zoom, Gallagher said.
Find out what's happening in Jolietfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“We are trying to enjoin any hearings or meetings from occurring on December 3 or December 10,” said Richard Linden, of Linden & Bustamante, one of Stop NorthPoint LLC’s attorneys, which also include Bob Fioretti and Peter Bustamante.
In April, the Joliet City Council, in a 6-3 vote, approved a pre-annexation plan for NorthPoint and in the days leading up to the vote, several of Illinois' most powerful elected officials issued a news release announcing their resounding support for NorthPoint in Joliet: including U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, Congressman Bobby Rush, Congressman Adam Kinzinger and Congresswoman Robin Kelly.
According to Tuesday's news release from Gallagher, Tuedsay's legal delay does not change Stop NorthPoint’s primary goal of seeking a permanent halt to the project.
Joliet Patch has previously reported that the NorthPoint Development would span 1,625 acres of farmland near Route 53.
The Stop NorthPoint Facebook group has 1,000 members. On Tuesday afternoon, Gallagher shared her news release with the group and some of the comments were positive.
One man named John commented: "Why doesn't Joliet put that thing out on Rt 6? they have all the room in the world there and plenty of access to major highways... they could get rid of that useless swimming pool and the need for another bridge would go away... OMG what could I be thinking? this is Illinois and Joliet...common sense went away a long time ago."
Another Facebook group member named Andy wrote: "This is incredible what a way to start a thanksgiving break thanks Erin Gallagher for your extremely hard work and your entire legal team."
Related Joliet Patch coverage of the North Point Development:
Durbin, Kinzinger, Kelly: We All Support NorthPoint Joliet

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.
