Politics & Government

Judge Orders Stop To La Grange Demolition

A neighbor sued over the teardown. A developer plans a 39-unit condo complex.

La Grange resident Jonathan Robinson last month criticized the village's handling of the local Jackson Square building. To the left is Byron Sigcho Lopez, who is running for Congress.
La Grange resident Jonathan Robinson last month criticized the village's handling of the local Jackson Square building. To the left is Byron Sigcho Lopez, who is running for Congress. (Eyes on La Grange IL/via video)

LA GRANGE, IL – A Cook County judge on Monday ordered a developer to temporarily halt the planned demolition of the Jackson Square antique mall because of a neighbor's lawsuit over the village's approval of the project.

The teardown at 112 E. Burlington Ave. had been set to start Monday.

"It feels nice to be sitting on a level playing field for the first time," neighbor Jonathan Robinson said in an email to Patch on Monday.

Find out what's happening in La Grangefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Developer Dan Spain, owner of La Grange's The Elm restaurant, couldn't be reached for immediate comment.

Last month, Robinson, who lives next door to the building, sued the developer and the village, seeking a temporary restraining order to stop the demolition.

Find out what's happening in La Grangefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

In January, the Village Board voted unanimously for the teardown to make way for a 39-unit condo complex. Many residents objected.

According to village documents, the developer's requested setbacks were "significantly violating" Robinson's property.

Public records show that village officials quietly worked with the developer on the proposal for seven months before letting residents know.

In his lawsuit, Robinson, represented by attorney Christian Ketter, alleges the board-approved development fails to adhere to minimal setbacks and loading space requirements.

The lawsuit also contends the village failed to give Robinson a "meaningful opportunity" to express the hardships by the 39-unit complex "encroaching" upon his property. Instead, the village imposed a strict three-minute time limit.

In so doing, La Grange disregarded procedural safeguards and further burdened Robinsion, depriving him of the chance to be meaningfully heard, the lawsuit said.

Cook County Circuit Judge Renee Jackson issued the temporary restraining order and set the hearing to decide on a preliminary injunction for June 2.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.