Community Corner

City Will Not Stop Release of Ronald Johnson Video: Mayor

Mayor Rahm Emanuel says he favors release of second video reportedly showing a Chicago police officer shooting another unarmed black man.

Ronald Johnson III

Mayor Rahm Emanuel says he favors the release of a second police dashcam video reportedly showing a white Chicago police officer shooting another unarmed black man, news reports said.

Ronald Johnson III, 25, was fatally shot during a foot chase with police eight days before teen Laquan McDonald was killed by police in 2014.

Find out what's happening in Lakeviewfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Johnson’s mother, Dorothy Holmes, has filed a federal lawsuit against the police officer who reportedly shot and killed her son.

Chicago police who responded to a shots-fired call the night of Oct. 12, 2014, in the city’s Washington Park neighborhood, says that Johnson pointed a gun at the police officer.

Find out what's happening in Lakeviewfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Her attorney, Michael Oppenheimer, says the dashcam video shows that Johnson was running away and was unarmed when he was felled by a police officer’s bullets.

“I am 100-percent certain that Ronald had nothing in his hands when he was running,” the Johnson family’s attorney, Michael Oppenheimer, said during a press conference earlier this week. “That gun was not in his hand unless the police glued it to his hand.”

Following remarks by the mayor backing off from earlier statements he made about a federal probe into possible civil and constitutional violations by the Chicago Police Department not being welcome, Emanuel says he supports the second police dashcam video’s public release.

A federal judge is expected to rule on the video’s release Dec. 10.

This story will be updated.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.