Crime & Safety

Oswego Man Altered Firearm To Work Like Machine Gun: Naperville Cops

Police say Caleb Davis, 18, was caught with the altered gun in a parking lot located in the 2700 block of W. 75th Street.

Police say Caleb Davis, 18, was caught with the altered gun in a parking lot located in the 2700 block of W. 75th Street.
Police say Caleb Davis, 18, was caught with the altered gun in a parking lot located in the 2700 block of W. 75th Street. (Naperville Police Department)

NAPERVILLE, IL — An Oswego man is being held without bond after Naperville police say they found him with a firearm that had been altered to operate like a machine gun. Caleb Davis, 18, of the 400 block of Treasure Dr., was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon -- machine gun -- in connection with the June 29 incident.

Police say they spotted Davis driving a car to a dimly lit part of a lot in the 2700 block of W. 75th Street around 9 p.m. on June 29. According to police, they approached the car and saw the butt of a gun sticking out from near the feet of a passenger who was in the car.

Davis and the passenger were asked to get out of the car and officers conducted a search. They reported finding a 9mm Glock with a bullet in its chamber. Police say they also found a magazine with 34 bullets inside that was resting between the car's center console and Davis.

Find out what's happening in Napervillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The gun had been "modified to fire as a fully automatic machine gun," a news release said. Police say the passenger had a valid FOID card and conceal and carry license.

Davis was arrested shortly after.

Find out what's happening in Napervillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“It is alleged that Mr. Davis, who did not possess either a FOID Card or a CCL, was illegally in possession of an illegally modified weapon,” DuPage County State's Attorney Robert Berlin said in a statement.

He added, “I commend the Naperville Police Department for their heads-up work in this case that took a very dangerous weapon off the streets. I also thank Assistant State’s Attorneys Rob Willis and Anthony Raimondi for their efforts in securing strong charges against Mr. Davis.”

Davis is set to appear in court again on Aug. 21.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.