This post was contributed by a community member. The views expressed here are the author's own.

Sports

Providence Moves to Plan B With New QB Situation

The Providence Catholic football team found out Friday they will be without senior quarterback Nate Stramaglia due to the IHSA's ruling. Find out who will be taking snaps instead, and check-out photos from the Celtics' "Green and White" scrimmage game.

 football team's quarterback situation looked grim when starter .

The situation got even worse on Friday when the team found out its only other player with high school quarterbacking experience cannot play a down this season. Nate Stramaglia was ruled ineligible from athletics this upcoming school year at his court hearing for transferring from a public school to a private one.

"We kind of expected that," said Providence Catholic varsity football head coach Mark Coglianese. "We planned on worst case scenario - and it is worst case - so, we'll move on with plan B."

Find out what's happening in New Lenoxfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Stramaglia, who is now a senior, played quarterback on Providence's sophomore team before transferring to his junior year to compete for the starting varsity position there. After that did not pan out, Stramaglia transferred back to Providence Catholic.

"Fair or not it's just a shame that he can't play," Coglianese said. "It was for athletic reasons that he transferred from Providence to Sandburg and then back, so those are the consequences, I guess."

Find out what's happening in New Lenoxfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

READ MORE:

Throughout the summer, the Celtics have tried transforming a few players into quarterbacks. With a week left before , the team has narrowed down its starter to two players: previous running back Dominic Lagone and wide receiver Miles Boykin.

"I think we're quarterbacks just because of our athletic ability," Boykin said. "We can run away from defenders and out of trouble."

Coglianese and the rest of the coaching staff have been pleased with the progress the two have made playing the quarterback position. "[Boykin] being a sophomore; [Lagone] a junior, they're going to help us at that position the next couple years," Coglianese said.

Development at the quarterback position has not completely been smooth sailing for the duo, though. Both Boykin and Lagone agreed learning how to play quarterback was more difficult than they had previously thought.

Although the Celtics are not certain of which quarterback will be first on the depth chart Friday night, Coglianese said the team is leaning towards starting Lagone. That way they can have both athletes on the field at the same time, with Lagone under center and Boykin lined up at wide receiver.

Neither Boykin nor Lagone seemed upset with being told by the coaching staff they will be splitting time at the quarterback position.

"I'll do whatever the team needs," Lagone said. "We'll see what the team needs this year and even next year, but it's the coaches' decision."

READ MORE

The views expressed in this post are the author's own. Want to post on Patch?