Schools

Homecoming Dance To Go On Despite 'Threat Of Violence' Against Oak Park-River Forest Field House

Oak Park-River Forest High School received a threat by mail for Saturday's homecoming dance. The dance will continue as planned.

OAK PARK, IL — UPDATE: A threat made to the Oak Park-River Forest High School Field House won't get in the way of the annual homecoming dance, according to an update from school officials. Police performed a security search of the school and field house last night and used bomb-sniffing dogs as an added measure this afternoon. Security was also posted up at the field house overnight after the initial search determined there was no danger.

Additional precautions will be taken during the dance to further ensure students' safety. In a letter to students and parents, Superintendent Joylynn Pruitt-Adams, said that oversized bags and backpacks will not be permitted into the field house.

Students will only be able to enter the dance from 7 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. Students who arrive after that time will not be permitted to enter, regardless of whether they have a ticket. No exit and re-entry will be permitted.

Find out what's happening in Oak Park-River Forestfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Pruitt-Adams added that security will present during the event and that the staff will "not dim the lights in the field house to the degree [they] normally would."

School officials have opted not to frisk students or use metal detectors, the letter disclosed, adding that "these decisions may mean that some students will not be comfortable with attending." A full refund will be available to these students with proof of purchase.

Find out what's happening in Oak Park-River Forestfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Original Article:

A "threat of violence" has been made for Saturday's homecoming dance at Oak Park-River Forest High School. The threat came in the form of an anonymous letter received by mail. The school is taking "every precaution possible" and the dance and tomorrow's homecoming events are currently set to continue as scheduled.

The school immediately alerted "federal, local, and state authorities" and the incident is under investigation to verify whether the threat is credible. In the meantime, the school is taking the following precautions, according to a letter to students, family, and staff from Superintendent Joylynn Pruitt-Adams:

  • Increasing police presence and patrols around the campus around the clock through tomorrow’s dance
  • Performing a security search of the football stadium prior to tonight’s football game
  • Performing a security search of the school campus this evening, focusing on the field house
  • Posting security staff in the field house around the clock once it has been searched and secured
  • Performing another security search of the campus tomorrow afternoon

Pruitt-Adams wrote that there was no mention of race in the letter and that there was "no indication that this threat is connected to events surrounding the racially offensive social media post earlier this week."

The school plans to issue refunds to parents if they would prefer their student not attend the event. Oak Park River-Forest High School said it will issue an update before 4 p.m. Saturday.

>>Image via Pixabay

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.