Crime & Safety

Man Gets 5 Years For Attack on CTA Yellow Line

The 60-year-old victim said his attacker had beaten him even as he laid down curled up.

A Chicago man will spend five years in prison for an attack on a 60-year-old man riding the CTA Skokie Swift Yellow Line last year.

Ganaa Otgoo, 33 was found guilty of aggravated battery last month in the April 2014 attack, according to the Chicago Tribune. He was sentenced Wednesday.

According to prosecutors, Otgoo started yelling at other train passengers and when the victim told him to be quiet, Otgoo attacked him. Photos of the incident later showed a boot print on the victim’s forehead and black and blue eyes that had been swollen shut.

Find out what's happening in Skokiefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“I am happy that the perpetrator of this vicious attack on a 60-year-old man was brought to justice,” said Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Michelle Gemskie.

Otgoo denied he was the man seen on a video tape that was shown to the court. But the victim had a statement prepared for his attacker’s sentencing on Wednesday, which was not read by himself since he had been ill.

Find out what's happening in Skokiefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“The defendant pulled my hooded sweatshirt over my head and punched and kicked me in the face and body even as I lay on the floor of the train curled up to defend myself,” the statement read. “I now suffer from migraine headaches and have lost several teeth due to this vicious attack. It is rare that I go out at night anymore. I do not take any trains or busses.”

more via the Chicago Tribune

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.