Community Corner

Archdiocese Clears Pfleger Of Second Round Of Sex Abuse Allegations

Cardinal Cupich sends a letter to St. Sabina parishioners stating there is no reason to believe Fr. Pfleger is guilty of misconduct.

Fr. Michael Pfleger and Rev. Jesse Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition Leaders And community members call on the Chicago Mayor to do more to combat violence in Chicago in April 2022.
Fr. Michael Pfleger and Rev. Jesse Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition Leaders And community members call on the Chicago Mayor to do more to combat violence in Chicago in April 2022. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

CHICAGO — Fr. Michael Pfleger, the activist priest of St. Sabina Church in Chicago’s South Side Gresham neighborhood, has been cleared of a second round of sexual abuse allegations. A letter from Cardinal Blase Cupich was sent to parishioners Saturday, announcing that Pfleger has been cleared to return to ministry.

In October, new child sex abuse allegations surfaced against the 73-year-old priest by a man now in his 40s, who claimed he had been molested by Pfleger while a member of the Soul Children of Chicago Choir. The abuse was said to have occurred during the 1980s at St. Sabina. The allegations were denounced by the choir's founder, who said there were always parents and chaperones around during rehearsals and supported Pfleger as a “man of integrity."

This was the second time in as many years that Pfleger had been accused of misconduct. Pfleger was returned to ministry last year after being cleared of similar allegations by the Archdiocese of Chicago.

Find out what's happening in South Sidefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

In accordance with the Archdiocese’s child and youth protection policies, Cupich said the Independent Review Board, along with the Office of Child Abuse Investigation and Review, and other outside investigators conducted a thorough review.

“The Review Board has concluded that there is no reason to suspect Father Pfleger is guilty of these allegations,” Cupich said in the letter. “Having given careful consideration to their decision, which I fully accept, I now inform you that I am reinstating Father Pfleger to his position of senior pastor of the Faith Community of St. Sabina, effective immediately.”

The cardinal also acknowledged that he recognized the toll the investigation had taken on “Father Mike” and St. Sabina parishioners.

Find out what's happening in South Sidefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“I ask that this letter be read at all the Masses this coming weekend, posted both as a hard copy in the Church and an electronic copy on your parish webpage. We will make it available to the media and on the webpage of the Archdiocese of Chicago,” the cardinal stated.

In October, Pfleger told his flock that the same attorney, Eugene Hollander, who represented two adult brothers from Texas that filed similar claims against the firebrand priest in January 2021, “has found a new client to make different allegations against me.”

The man claimed that on two separate occasions, Father Pfleger sexually assaulted him at the rectory of the church. He said he decided to come forward after he saw media reports in 2021 about two Texas brothers who claimed that Father Pfleger sexually abused them some 40 years earlier. The brothers both voluntarily submitted to polygraph examinations and passed, according to their attorney. The brothers also presented evidence from a third victim, who claimed that the priest sexually assaulted him shortly after he turned the age of 18.

Hollander said in a statement that his client was “extremely disappointed” by the Archdiocese's findings, claiming they had “overwhelming evidence concerning these sexual abuse allegations.”

“All of my clients presented credible and detailed evidence concerning the abuse … We had overwhelming evidence concerning these sexual abuse allegations,” the attorney said. “Today’s finding, unfortunately, will discourage other victims of sexual abuse from coming forward. The Independent Review Board did not disclose a basis for its finding.”

During his four decades as pastor of St. Sabina, Pfleger has taken on the drug, alcohol and tobacco industries, drug paraphernalia businesses, the NRA, white supremacists, right wing Christians and more, whom he said have tried to smear his reputation.

“I ask that you do all you can to welcome back Father Pfleger so that he can once again take up the ministry that has distinguished St. Sabina in the archdiocese and beyond,” Cupich said.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.