Crime & Safety
Man Tackled by School Official in Shooting Owes $832 in Electronic Home Monitoring Fees
The former St. Charles man is accused of opening fire on his wife in a St. Charles neighborhood following a domestic dispute.

ST. CHARLES, IL - A former St. Charles man who opened fire in a neighborhood earlier this year as he chased down his wife following a domestic dispute could be in more trouble as he has not paid any money toward his electronic home monitoring fees. Authorities have credited District 303 School Board President Steven Spurling with thwarting the shooting after he tackled the man.
Scott J. Turyna, 65, who currently lives in Oakbrook Terrace, owes $832 in home monitoring fees, which amounts to $8 per day for the 104 days he has so far been out of jail, according to the Daily Herald.
Turyna is charged with attempted murder, aggravated discharge of a firearm and aggravated domestic battery in connection with the May 5 incident in the 400 block of Hunt Club Drive.
Find out what's happening in St. Charlesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The shooting stemmed from an argument over financial matters between Turyna and his wife. Turyna threatened to kill the woman and began to move “aggressively toward her” while the two were inside their home on Hunt Club Drive. The wife picked up the phone to call police and Turyna knocked the phone out of her hands. He pushed her down on the kitchen floor, sat on her chest and started punching her in the head and upper body, Deputy Chief David Kintz of the St. Charles Police Department said earlier this year.
“He let her up and walked towards a cabinet where his wife knew a handgun was stored,” Kintz said. “She ran out of the garage and crawled under the garage door as it was opening.”
Find out what's happening in St. Charlesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
At that same time, school board president Steven Spurling, and his wife, Diane, were walking by. Kintz said the couple helped the victim up and started to walk her away, “sensing that something was not right.” Turyna came out and tried to explain that the woman had just fallen.
Diane Spurling started walking with the victim to get her away. Turyna followed the two and produced a Smith and Wesson .38 caliber 5-shot revolver and began firing in the direction of the two women, Kintz said.
"One shot went off and then another. It took a second or two for me to register what was happening,” Spurling said.
When he did, he quickly grabbed the shooter and tackled him to the ground. He estimates that a total of four shots were fired. Spurling got the handgun and threw it away from the area. He then held the suspect down until police arrived.
>>> Bail Set at $500,000 for Husband Charged With Attempted Murder in St. Charles Shooting Incident
Turyna is currently free from custody after posting bail but prosecutors could choose to seek that he be jailed again since he has not paid any of his electronic home monitoring fees, the Daily Herald reports.
Turyna was already jailed briefly this past summer when he violated a condition of his bail and drove within 1,500 feet from an exclusion zone that includes the home he shared with his wife, according to the Elgin Courier-News. A GPS tracking device alerted authorities that he came to close to the exclusion zone and he was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of violating domestic violence bond.
At that time, a relative posted the $500 bond needed for his release. Turyna’s attorney blamed himself for incorrectly explaining the condition of his bail to his client, according to the Elgin-Courier News.
"I fall on my sword. I advised my client. He thought it was only a 1,000-foot zone," Motta said during a June court hearing. "He was literally in and out of the zone."
Turyna is expected back in court on Friday for a status hearing, according to online jail records.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.