Business & Tech
Restaurant Owner Angered After Street Dining Nixed
Aldermen with the St. Charles City Council said Flagship on the Fox had a year to come up with alternatives to street dining but did not.

ST. CHARLES, IL — City officials have decided to open Walnut Avenue back up to traffic and close down street seating outside Flagship on the Fox — a decision that has angered the restaurant's owner.
During a St. Charles City Council meeting last month, Steve Mayer, owner of Flagship, called out the aldermen who voted down allowing dining on Walnut Street — a move the city allowed during the COVID-19 pandemic and approved in April 2022 for another year.
During the April 2022 meeting, councilors urged Mayer to start looking into and presenting alternative options for outdoor seating at his business. And also that year, the city updated its outdoor dining ordinance, which states dining on streets is permitted.
Find out what's happening in St. Charlesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
During a March 20 city council meeting, Mayer said shutting down outdoor dining could cost jobs at Flagship and encourage residents to look outside the city for dining options. He also called out Alderman David Pietryla and Alderman Bryan Wirball for against his outdoor street seating in and expressed his anger over them not taking the time to meet with him regarding the issue.
"I am fuming as I look at both of you. This is not how aldermen who represent their city conduct business," Mayer said during the public comments section of a March 20 city council meeting. "I can take you guys voting against us if you have legitimate reason."
Find out what's happening in St. Charlesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Pietryla said his reason centered around allowing city streets to be used for travel. He says he supports outdoor dining in the city but does not think a single business should expect to use a public street forever.
"In the wake of the COVID pandemic, when our businesses and residents needed support, I think that was the right thing to do. Those were extraordinary times and we did what we could to promote local business and community morale," he said during the March 20 city council meeting "But I don't think that means a single business can you use a street forever. It's a street. It's not a patio or plaza."
Wirball addressed the issue as well, stating he'd supported allowing Flagship using Walnut for outdoor dining in April 2022, with the expectation they'd find alternative options within the year.
"They had one year to come in here and bring us some options instead of coming in here and demanding a street be turned over to them," Wirball said.
The aldermen also stated that construction on the River East lofts could lead to street closures in that area. And so reopening Walnut Avenue was important for those living in the neighborhood and the city.
Meanwhile, another resident living on Walnut Avenue, sided with the aldermen. Brett Taylor said he felt Walnut was a busy street and thanked city council members for nixing outdoor dining on his street.
He added he didn't understand the "entitlement" behind demanding the street be used for dining and added Flagship had sidewalk space to allow for dining.
"That just seems like the most common sense logical decision," he said.
Paula Price, who lives at 208 Walnut Avenue, disagreed. She said she enjoyed having the street dining in her neighborhood. She added she drives Walnut Avenue most days and it's rarely busy.
"I love the outdoor dining there. It adds to my experience," she said.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.