Schools
Judge Won't Block Closing of LW North
Judge rejects group's plea to issue temporary restraining order.

Will County Judge Roger Rickmon on Wednesday rejected a group's plea for a temporary restraining order to block the closing of Lincoln-Way North High School.
A group of citizens known Lincoln-Way Area Taxpayers Unite have fought the closing, noting the negative impact it would have on students. Rickmon said Wednesday, though, that the lawsuit did not name parents of students as plaintiffs, rendering the argument invalid.
Rickmon noted that the named plaintiffs in the lawsuit are only identified as taxpayers and residents of the school district—none as parents of students in the district. He also stressed that the plaintiffs did not demonstrate a clear right that needed protection, nor did it make clear the group would suffer "irreparable harm" if the closing moves forward, reports the SouthtownStar.
The group's attorney Stephen Eberhardt said he plans to file an amended complaint next week, in which he will clearly list the plaintiffs as parents of students in the district, to stress that students matter in the case.
Rickmon previously ruled in favor of the district to dismiss LWATU’s lawsuit, but dismissed two counts without prejudice, allowing for LWATU to file an amended complaint specifically addressing one paragraph in the 500-page lawsuit.
The lawsuit was filed in December after a group of citizens decried the decision to shutter North as rash and unjust, made to address the district’s finances to avoid state intervention that would have revealed financial corruption.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.