Schools

Reported Attempted Entry Prompts Soft Lockdown At Wheaton Schools

Police say no one made entry to the school and that the schools were placed on soft lockdown as a precaution.

WHEATON, IL --- Three Wheaton schools were placed on a precautionary soft lockdown Thursday afternoon after reports that there had been an attempted entry at the Jefferson Early Childhood Center. In a post on Facebook, city officials said police viewed surveillance video and determined that no one had entered the school and that there was no danger to students, parents, and staff.

The "secure and teach" soft lockdown came just as school was dismissing for the day, which caused parents who were picking up students at Jefferson to be temporarily rerouted to DuPage County Fairgrounds. Officials said Emerson Elementary School and Monroe Middle School were also affected by the lockdown.

As of 3:10 p.m., normal student pickup protocol was back in place and the lockdown had been lifted.

Find out what's happening in Wheatonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Image via GoogleMaps Streetview

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.