Crime & Safety
Judge Dismisses Indictment in Phylicia Barnes Case: Reports
North Carolina teen was killed after visiting relative in northwest Baltimore, and man tried twice in her murder has been acquitted.

A judge has upheld his decision to free the man previously found guilty in the murder of North Carolina teen Phylicia Barnes, who disappeared three days after Christmas 2010 while visiting her half-sister in Baltimore. Her body was found in the Susquehanna Rivernorth of Havre de Grace in April 2011.
Michael Maurice Johnson, 31, of the 600 block of Cooks Lane, was indicted on a first-degree murder charge in April 2012. Jurors found Johnson guilty of second-degree murder in February 2013.
Then, a Baltimore City judge acquitted Johnson in January following two mistrials.
Find out what's happening in Owings Mills-Reisterstownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
When the Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office attempted to indict him for a third trial, Judge John Addison Howard ruled in favor of Johnson’s attorneys, who asked that the indictment be dismissed, The Baltimore Sun reports.
Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said that she plans to appeal the decision.
Find out what's happening in Owings Mills-Reisterstownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“We will keep fighting for justice to be conducted in the manner required under the law,” Mosby said in a statement Thursday. “Accordingly, we will be seeking an appeal, by way of the Attorney General.”
- Judge Releases Man Tried in Phylicia Barnes Murder Case
- Jury Delivers Verdict in Phylicia Barnes Trial
- Attorneys in Phylicia Barnes Murder Case Seek New Trial
- New Trial for Man Convicted of Murdering Phylicia Barnes
- Prosecutors Say Sex Video Shows Phylicia Barnes, Accused Murderer
Johnson was reportedly the last person to have seen 16-year-old Barnes alive and was dating her half-sister at the time of her disappearance. Police considered him the“prime suspect” in the murder of Barnes, according to ABC 2 News.
Once charged in the murder, Johnson was incarcerated for nearly three years, until his release in late January, when Judge Howard ruled to acquit him following two mistrials,The Baltimore Sun reported.
In the first mistrial, Judge Alfred Nance overturned the 2013 guilty verdict becauseprosecutors withheld information about a witness.
In late 2014, Judge Howard declared a mistrial because part of a tape that was supposed to be redacted was accidentally played twice in the courtroom, according toThe Baltimore Sun.
Then, in January, Howard ruled there was “no direct evidence” linking Johnson to the crime and acquitted him.
The Baltimore City state’s attorney said that she does not plan to let the verdict stand.
Said Mosby: ”It is our job to uphold the law and rectify procedural missteps.”
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.