Crime & Safety
Kevin Spacey's Attorneys File Motions In Nantucket Case
Lawyers for the actor are seeking information about customers who were at the Club Car restaurant and records from his accuser's phone.

NANTUCKET, MA – Attorneys for actor Kevin Spacey have filed multiple motions in his indecent assault case Thursday. The two-time Oscar winner was accused of groping an 18-year-old man at a Nantucket restaurant in 2016.
Spacey, 59, was arraigned on a charge of indecent assault and battery in January. His lawyers entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.
At Spacey's arraignment, a judge granted a motion to preserve cell phone and cloud information on the accuser's phone from July 7-8, the night of the reported assault. Attorney Alan Jackson previously said there is data that is "likely exculpatory" for the actor.
Find out what's happening in Barnstable-Hyannisfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
That information is one of several motions filed Thursday. According to Boston 25's Peter Wilson, attorneys are seeking text messages, photos, Snapchats and calls from the accuser; records on customers at the Club Car restaurant the night of the reported assault; and information about monetary agreements between former Boston TV anchor Heather Unruh and her attorney, Mitchell Garabedian.
JUST IN: Attorneys for actor Kevin Spacey file several motions in his indecent assault case, They want: -Records on any customer at Nantucket restaurant at time of alleged 2016 assault on a young man. -Text messages, photos, snapchats, calls from alleged victim.@boston25 pic.twitter.com/2AB7byvoNu
— Peter Wilson (@PetesWire) February 28, 2019
Unruh told reporters in November 2017 that Spacey got her son drunk and grabbed his genitals during an encounter in the crowded bar of the Club Car restaurant. She said her son fled the restaurant, where he worked as a busboy, when Spacey went to the bathroom.
Find out what's happening in Barnstable-Hyannisfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
According to court records, the man caught part of his encounter with the actor on video. He sent a video via Snapchat to his girlfriend that allegedly showed Spacey touching the front of his pants, according to a state police report filed in Nantucket District Court and obtained by the Cape Cod Times.
Spacey's lawyers said at a show-cause hearing in December the video shows someone's hand touching another person's shirt, but does not show anyone being groped, according to the Boston Globe, which obtained an audio recording of the hearing.
A preliminary hearing in the case has been set for Monday, March 4. Spacey does not have to appear at the hearing.
Related
- Kevin Spacey Silent In Face Of Nantucket Sexual Assault Charge
- Kevin Spacey Accuser Will Not Attend Nantucket Arraignment
- Kevin Spacey's Request To Skip Court Appearance Denied By Judge
- Man Who Says Kevin Spacey Assaulted Him Caught Encounter On Film
- Kevin Spacey To Be Charged In Alleged Nantucket Sexual Assault
- Kevin Spacey Apologizes To Anthony Rapp After Alleged Sex Assault
- More Men Accuse Kevin Spacey Of Sexual Abuse
- Kevin Spacey Suspended From House Of Cards: Production Company
- Kevin Spacey Won't Receive Award After Sex Assault Allegations
- Actor Harry Dreyfuss Accuses Kevin Spacey Of Groping Him
Materials from the Associated Press were used in this story.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.