Politics & Government

Beverly Officials Nearing Lawsuit Settlement With Danvers Man

Mark Zuberek claims city officials violated his First Amendment Rights when he started asking questions at Beverly Airport.

Danvers residents have expressed concerns about increased noise and traffic from a proposed Beverly Airport expansion.
Danvers residents have expressed concerns about increased noise and traffic from a proposed Beverly Airport expansion. (Beverly Airport/File Photo)

BEVERLY, MA — Lawyers for the City of Beverly and Danvers resident Mark Zuberek have agreed to mediation as they try to settle a lawsuit Zuberek filed against the city and its regional airport in U.S. District Court in April. Both sides filed a joint motion this week requesting mediation, saying they had discussed a settlement and "believe [mediation] would be of great assistance to resolving the present matter."In addition to the city, Zuberek listed the Beverly Airport Commission and the airport's executive director, Gloria Bouillon, as defendants in his lawsuit.

Zuberek is the longtime host of "Topics of Town News," a cable-access news program in Danvers. Zuberek covered a meeting of the airport commission and an interview with Bouillon in October, and requested a follow-up interview with Bouillon a few days later. He was working on a segment about noise from the airport and its economic impact on Danvers and Beverly, according to court documents.

Find out what's happening in Beverlyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Related story on Patch: New Jet Hangar Proposed For Beverly Regional Airport

Zuberek said he tried to interview a business owner at the airport as part of his reporting for the segment. He talked to the business owner through a fence and claims in his lawsuit he never entered marked, restricted areas in the airport. On Nov. 1, Zuberek received a no trespass order banning from the airport. He also says in court documents airport officials posted his photo around the airport with a warning that he was not permitted on the property.

Find out what's happening in Beverlyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Zuberek sued in April, claiming his First Amendment rights had been violated and that his reputation had been harmed by the no trespass order and the photos posted at the facility. In its response to Zuberek's original complaint, the airport denies his claim about the photos.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.