Sports
Danvers Marathoners Cross Line Mere Minutes Before Bomb Explodes
Three marathoners from Danvers Monday finished the raced just minutes before the first explosion occurred near the finish line while other residents had already finished or were still out on the course.

Three people were killed and another 140 bystanders were injured in Monday's bombing at the Boston Marathon. It doesn't appear that any Danvers locals were among the casualties.
Amanda Finnegan, one of the 13 residents officially signed up for the race, tells Danvers Patch she wasn't able to finish the last leg of the marathon, but her and her family were out of harm's way.
"I got stopped at mile 21 and was unable to finish but my family and I are all OK," she said.
Find out what's happening in Danversfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
And as for close calls, fellow marathoners Kerri Callahan, Jason Carraro and Christian Natale crossed the line mere minutes before the first explosion occurred near the finish line.
Martha Daniels also told Danvers Patch that her cousin and family were at the marathon, but she finally received a phone call that they were all right, much to her relief.
Find out what's happening in Danversfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Aaron Toleos, who organizes the informal running club Danvers 5K Fun Run, reported via Facebook Monday night that all those marathoners and bystanders affiliated with the club had checked in and were not injured. Many of the people were from Danvers, but some were from surrounding communities.
It was not all glad news though.
"I am sad to report that although Amber Woolfenden is fine and was on the course when the explosions occurred, her husband and son were waiting at the finish and were injured in one of the blasts," Toleos said.
He said he understands, however, that both Amber's husband and young son -- the family is from Salem -- are expected to recover from their injuries.
A number of other local residents, businesses and organizations in town .
Some local churches are also holding special services in the wake of the tragedy. Christ the Redeemer Anglican Church will hold a prayer service Tuesday at 7 p.m.
"Please join us in praying for the dead and the injured in today's bomb attack at the Boston Marathon," Fr. Tim Clayton wrote on Facebook Monday evening.
If you know of any other local services or events being held to support the victims in the bombing, share the details below in the comments section.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.