Politics & Government

Lucy, Fratus Accept Continuance in Assault Case

The assault charge against former Danvers Selectman Keith Lucy will be dismissed if Lucy stays out of trouble with the law for 90 days.

The assault charge against former Danvers Selectman Keith Lucy will be dismissed if Lucy stays out of trouble with the law for 90 days.

Both sides were ready to go to trial last week in Salem District Court, but agreed to a general continuance in the case instead, reports the Salem News. That means the charge can be dismissed in 90 days if Lucy has no further trouble with the law and he doesn't need to admit to any wrongdoing.

The victim in the case -- John Fratus -- told the Salem News he was also satisfied with the outcome.

Find out what's happening in Danversfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Lucy was facing an assault charge (a misdemeanor) brought by the Essex County District Attorney's office for an incident that allegedly occurred in Town Hall last September. Lucy denied he did anything wrong and both he and the prosecution were prepared to bring multiple witnesses to the stand.

Lucy lost his re-election bid to the Board of Selectmen in May while the case was pending and Fratus, likewise, lost his seat at Town Meeting.

Find out what's happening in Danversfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Fratus initially sought the charge himself (it was not handled by police) and a court magistrate's hearing, where probable cause was found to go forward.

The alleged altercation took place in Town Hall the night of Sept. 6 during the state primary election.

Fratus said he was looking at election results with his wife and a friend when an angry Lucy stepped in front of his wife and yelled at her.

Fratus said he moved in front of his wife to intervene and Lucy then swung at him with an open hand an inch from his face.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.