Business & Tech

Falmouth Drive-In May Lose Permit After Noise Complaints

Event management for the drive-in said they've responded to these complaints and have made several changes over the last few weeks.

Town Manager Julian Suso said he plans to meet with representatives of Vivid Event Productions and tell them the drive-in concerts and movies at the Falmouth Drive-In are close to being shut down.
Town Manager Julian Suso said he plans to meet with representatives of Vivid Event Productions and tell them the drive-in concerts and movies at the Falmouth Drive-In are close to being shut down. (Jimmy Bentley/Patch)

FALMOUTH, MA — The Falmouth Drive-In is danger of losing its permit after town officials received several noise complaints from nearby residents, members of the Falmouth Select Board said Monday.

Town Manager Julian Suso said he plans to meet with representatives of Vivid Event Productions and tell them the drive-in concerts and movies are close to being shut down. The Select Board is expected to review the permit at its next meeting.

In a phone interview Thursday, Kevin Pacheco, the general manager for Vivid Event Products, said he's received three or four noise complaints, has responded to them and made changes at the venue to limit noise. Those changes included removing subwoofers from the stage and changing the angle of speakers so that the sound doesn't carry into the neighborhood.

Find out what's happening in Falmouthfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Pacheco said he met with Suso Oct. 20 and spoke about these issues and was never made aware that the drive-in shows would be on Monday's select board agenda.

"We had met with the guy, and we had an idea and knew it was being discussed, just not at a selectmen meeting, Pacheco said.

Find out what's happening in Falmouthfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

But Chairwoman Megan English Braga said the concerns have worsened since Pacheco and Suso spoke.

"We've gotten some complaints about the concerts, and it's multiplied exponentially in the last week," English Braga said. "We've gone from having a few complaints here and there to I don’t know, we've received quite a few just in the last few days."

"They have violated (the permit) and really they have lost the right to continue," added board member Nancy Taylor. "I just think we have done as much as we can do to support them, and I don't think they’re sticking to their part of the bargain."

Pacheco said he hasn't violated the permit and has done extensive research into the noise complaints. He said the company uses satellite imagery instruments to see every house impacted by the concerts and movie showings. He said there are a few houses that have been impacted but noise at those homes has been around 50 decibels, the same level as a typical conversation.

"We're trying to build a partnership with the town," Pacheco said. "We aren't trying to be combative by any means."

Vivid Event Productions' last concert is scheduled for Friday, and Pacheco said he has made plans for socially distant holiday-themed events in December. But English Braga said she doesn't think the permit should extend beyond October, and Pacheco should come back to the board for any special events after Oct. 31.

The Select Board is expected to meet with Pacheco and review the permit at its Nov. 9. meeting.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.