Politics & Government

Selectmen Nearly Nix Antique Car Flea Market

With a vote of 3-2, the selectmen voted to allow the South Shore Antique Auto Club to hold their annual flea market despite issues with vendors and the crowd at last year's show.

The South Shore Antique Auto Club’s Trading Bee has been in Mansfield for over 20 years but it wasn’t until recently that town officials became aware of the problems at the event held yearly at the Comcast Center. 

“I was not aware of the nature of this event prior to a few years ago. When my crew got out there they said ‘Wow you need to see what’s going on,’” Fire Chief Neil Boldrighini said.

Despite issues surrounding the management of 1,500 vendors, an expected crowed of over 6,000 people during a two day period, and the behavior on display at the event, the selectmen voted 3-2 at their April 17 meeting to allow the auto club to hold their annual antique car parts flea market. Doug Annino and Jess Apowitz voted against the event.

Find out what's happening in Mansfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Due to the issues connected with the event, Carl Webber from the SSAAC was asked to come before the selectmen for a hearing for the licenses to be able to hold the show on May 11 and 12.

According to Webber, this was the first year he had to make an appearance in front of the selectmen to have the license for the event approved.

Find out what's happening in Mansfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“I don’t understand why we’re here. I don’t understand why there is a problem,”  Webber said.

Despite submitting the application for the license in December, the selectmen did not address the issue until their April 17 meeting which was less than a month away from the event.

According to Chief of Police Ron Sellon, last year’s event featured issues that included but were not limited to excessive drinking, makeshift fire-pits, fireworks, and vendors driving around on dirt bikes. The issues came as a surprise to the selectmen who had never had a real issue with the event.

Seletmen George Dentino commented that he lives near the Comcast Center and never saw or heard any of the problems until they were brought to his attention.

Webber defended the event, saying that any vendors and attendees that caused trouble are often kicked that there have been minimal issues in the two decades the show has been in Mansfield.

There was a general consensus that issues discussed could be stopped with a larger police detail at the event which Webber agreed to pay for. The main issue was camping since many vendors travel to the show with RVs and campers where they store their merchandise and stay overnight.

Since the Comcast Center is not zoned for camping, no one is allowed to stay at the venue overnight despite the practice being common at similar flea markets.

“That will kill the show. I have no way to get in touch with these people right now,” Webber said. “If they don’t allow camping, there will be no show.”

Selectmen Jess Apowitz and Doug Annino were not convinced the event should be held, citing the issues in previous years and the worries of controlling 1,500 vendors with only two organizers.

“I’m not going to sit here and approve it because if you can’t control then I’m sorry I’m not going to approve it,” Apowitz said. “I don’t see how two people can control 1,500 vendors. It’s impossible.”

Selectman Kevin Moran was unpleased with the late nature of the discussion but could not vote against the license since so many people are preparing to go to the show. 

“We have 1,500 venders and they probably don’t have arrangements somewhere else for this. This close to the event I can’t say no we’re not doing this,” Moran said.

Although he voted yes, Moran did say that the board should hold a meeting to look at how issues such as vendors camping out for the weekend can be solved.

“I’m embarrassed that I did not know the issues that have been going on at this event,” he said. “We have to sit down afterwards and take a look at if this it something that fits in that venue.”

As part of the license agreement, the auto club will have to pay for the recommended detail provided by the police and fire departments and cannot allow camping at the Comcast Center. 

While members of the board admitted that there is a good chance there will be camping, the most likely action will be a zoning violation citation for anyone caught staying at the Comcast Center overnight.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Mansfield