Schools

Southeastern Regional to Face Cuts in FY13

With more Mansfield enrollment, the town will pay more in district aid.

A budget proposed by the School Committee will most likely see a number of budget cuts in the upcoming year.

"We'll have a potential small reduction in staff, administrative and teaching-wise and [we have to] tighten our belts - hopefully for one last year to try to get through this," Southeastern Superintendent Lou Lopes told Easton Selectmen Monday night.

Lopes appeared before the board with Southeastern School Committee members Michael Pietrowski of Easton and Mark Linde of Brockton.

Find out what's happening in Mansfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The school's operating budget, which totals $20,439,028, will see a reduction in adminstrative staff by $104,236 and instructional staff by $447,430. Additonally, cuts will likely be made in non-salary expenses by $125,963.

The particularly difficult year is partly a result of the Federal Jobs Grant and stimulus money running out, Lopes said.The budget uses $60,876 from the Ed. Jobs Grant, which is $287,496 less than last year.

Find out what's happening in Mansfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Lopes recently told Mansfield Selectmen that the town will have to pay a $15,000 a year increase based on the amount of students from Mansfield attending the school.

Most of Southeastern's enrollment comes from Brockton, which pays 60 percent of the school's district aid.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Mansfield