Schools

Gun Report At Natick High A False Alarm: Police

Police traced a call from a possible suicidal person back to the high school, but it turned out to be the wrong number.

The school said all students are safe.
The school said all students are safe. (David Allen/Patch)

NATICK, MA — Natick High School and Johnson Elementary School were under a shelter-in-place on Monday after police reported a suicidal person in the area. The schools lifted the order around 12:50 p.m. and said all students are safe.

Police said they received a call from a Veterans helpline, who had been texting someone who said they had a gun and wanted to harm themselves. When police worked with the cellphone carrier to trace the phone number, it was listed as located at the high school tennis courts. Based on that information, the schools went into a shetler-in-place out of an abundance of caution.

After police investigated they found out the phone number the person gave was incorrect and instead belonged to a student at the high school. The school said the student had no idea his number was listed.

Find out what's happening in Natickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Police said "The involved party had no known connection to Natick and Natick was at no time in any danger from this incident." The incident lasted for less than an hour and no one was injured, police said.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.