Crime & Safety

Smoking Caused Fire That Killed 73-Year-Old Woman

A fire on Saturday that killed a woman was due to improper disposal of smoking materials, said the fire marshal.

NATICK, MA — A fire that claimed the life of a 73-year-old woman in Natick this weekend was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials, according to the state’s fire marshal and Natick Police Chief James Hicks.

Firefighters responded on Saturday to 211 East Central St. on Saturday, where they rescued Carol McCarthy from the second floor bedroom. McCarthy lived alone in the single family home.

McCarthy was rescued by the Natick Fire Department through the second floor bedroom, which is where the fire started, and taken to Leonard Morse Hospital. Two smoke alarms were found in the home, one without any battery at all, and one with a dead battery. One carbon monoxide alarm was found without any battery.

Find out what's happening in Natickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

State Fire Marshal Ostroskey said, “So far in 2016 we have lost 13 people to fire, and 9, or 70 percent, were in homes without working smoke alarms. There’s nothing most of us wouldn’t do to protect the ones we love, so take a minute tonight to test your smoke and CO alarms, and if you cannot remember the last time you changed the batteries, do so this weekend.”

“Our thoughts are with the victim’s family at this time,” said District Attorney Marian Ryan in a release. Tragedies such as this are a reminder to all of us to review our safety precautions for our own households. Smoke detectors can serve as an early warning system for residents and are critical to preventing fatal fires.”

Find out what's happening in Natickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Chief White said in the announcement, “Our hearts go out to the family. Fire is a terrible way to lose one of our seniors, which is why the Natick Fire Department has a Senior SAFE program. The program will install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms for seniors who don’t have any. Please contact us directly or through the senior center.” To contact the Senior SAFE program call, 508-647-9555.

The fire was jointly investigated by the Natick Fire and Police Departments, and by State Police assigned to both the Office of the State Fire Marshal and the Office of the Middlesex District Attorney. Assistance was received from code compliance officers from the Department of Fire Services’ Division of Fire Safety.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.