This post was contributed by a community member. The views expressed here are the author's own.

Community Corner

Regional Roundup: Trouble for Patriots' Hernandez, Large Bail for Attleboro Teen Accused of Murder...

A look at some of the top stories around the region.

Large Bail for Teen Accused of Murder

An Attleboro teen, who was accused of murder earlier this year, is being held on $250 thousand, according to WPRI.

15-year-old Brandon Bonin allegedly tried to kill a 63-year-old woman in March. He was back in court this week.

Find out what's happening in Nortonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Attleboro police said earlier this year that the victim was startled to find Bonin in her home at approximately 10 p.m. on March 6. He attacked her with a knife, then drove the woman to a pond near the Seekonk line where he attempted to drown her, police say. Next, Bonin drove the woman to a third location where he tried to clog the vehicle's tailpipe with an article of clothing in an attempt to asphyxiate the woman while she was in the car, police say.

Mosquitos Could Cancel Norton Evening Public Activities

Find out what's happening in Nortonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The Norton Board of Selectmen discussed the possibility of mosquitos in Norton and how public activities could be affected.

“We’re getting into mosquito season and with all the water we’ve had right now if could be another major issue,” selectmen chair Robert Kimball said.

Dedham Woman Arrested for Selling Narcotics in Norwood 

On Thursday, June 20, Norwood Police made an arrest which ended an ongoing narcotics investigation.

Police learned from several sources that 53-year-old Dedham resident Paula Cardinal-Centofanti was selling Percocet in Norwood.

"Detective Eysie contacted her and arranged to purchase 10 pills at a reduced price of $250," police said. "Percocet is a narcotic and painkiller which is commonly sold illegally on the street, typically at $1 per milligram."

 

New Press Box Dedicated to Former Walpole Football Coach John Lee

Not even a little rain could stop the celebration around the new press box at Walople High School.

Originally set to be a groundbreaking ceremony for the John Lee Press Box at Turco Field, the inclement weather forced the ceremony to be moved into Blackburn Hall for a small reception and toast to the new press box.

The new box and guest bleachers are part of a year-long renovation of Turco Field that includes a new field and lights. The costs of the final phase is about $190,000 with $171,000 already raised.

The project got a big boost when a $70,000 donation from Walpole Community Television allowed the final renovations to expand from just the press box to the away bleachers too.

 

Murder Investigation Involving Aaron Hernandez Heating Up 

More details emerged in a homicide investigation involving Aaron Hernandez on June 20 as the member of the Patriots was followed by media and his house was once again searched by authorities.

At 11 a.m., news helicopters began to follow a white SUV driven by Hernandez from his North Attleboro home to Gillette Stadium.

The scene, which drew up memories of the 1994 OJ Simpson high speed chase, continued after Hernandez left the stadium around 12:15 p.m. and headed towards Route 1A.

At 1:15 p.m., Hernandez pulled into a garage near Colpley Square on Boylston Street in Boston to see his lawyer whose office was nearby according to WHDH.

Later in the day, police returned to Hernandez's house today with a warrant based on evidence that he destroyed his home security system.

 

 Mansfield native Jackie Curtis was one of 26 volunteers from across New England that were honored as Myra Kraft Community MVPs in a ceremony at Gillette Stadium on June 12. Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft, Patriots Charitable Foundation President Josh Kraft, Pro Football Hall of Famer and Patriots Executive Director or Community Affairs Andre Tippett, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, kicker Stephen Gostkowski, punter Zoltan Mesko and defensive lineman Vince Wilfork were all on hand to congratulate the winners, who were collectively awarded $200,000 in grants for their charities.

Curtis was named one of 15 third place winners and received a $5,000 grant for the Doll E. Daze Project & Museum, Inc.

Easton Among 54 Towns Using Commonwealth Connect App

 

The Commonwealth Connect app was formally launched, with 54 cities and towns among the intial users, including Easton.

“The Patrick Administration is committed to providing communities with tools and resources to improve the delivery of services our citizens want,” Secretary of Administration and Finance Glen Shor said in a press release. “Commonwealth Connect is just one more example of how we are creating innovative ways to empower the people of Massachusetts to build stronger and safer communities."

The Commonwealth Connect app is based on the Citizens Connect app that was developed for the city of Boston. It allows residents to report quality of life problems, such as potholes, directly to their local government in real time.

The views expressed in this post are the author's own. Want to post on Patch?

More from Norton