Crime & Safety
Fire Chief to Step Down in April
The decision to retire comes in the midst of town's budget-planning process.

The head of the will retire in April, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation.
Chief Richard Harris informed the town of his decision earlier this week, sources said. Inquiries to Harris and Town Administrator Greg Balukonis on Wednesday and Thursday morning were not immediately returned.
According to a report in Thursday's North Reading Transcript, Harris intends to retire April 15.
Find out what's happening in Readingfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Harris becomes the second high-ranking person to leave the department this year. Capt. Donald Cooke retired in February after 32 years.
Harris' exit comes as the town is in the midst of the 2012 fiscal year budget-planning process. At a budget meeting at on Saturday, Harris told selectmen that he believes the department is understaffed for the town's needs.
Find out what's happening in Readingfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The fire department staffs four firefighters per shift, 24 hours a day, Harris told selectmen. The department's staffing level has remained the same for more than 40 years, he said Saturday.
According to the department's website, there are 16 full-time firefighters, although Cooke retired in February. There also are 10 call firefighters.
“I think we should increase the size of the department,” Harris said Saturday. “Manpower-wise, we’ve been this way since 1967.”
In 1967, the department handled around 700 calls, compared to more than 2,000 now.
In addition to the budget planning, the firefighters' union currently has an unsettled contract and is in mediation with the town.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.