Crime & Safety
Coast Guard: Missing U.S. Cargo Ship Sank; Search Continues
Coast Guard says human remains found in survival suit were unidentifiable; they had to move on with search.

By Linda Bock (Patch staff)
Photo of a MH-60 refueling at sea during the search for the El Faro courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard
The Coast Guard said Monday that a U.S. cargo ship carrying 33 people that has been missing since it encountered high winds and heavy seas from Hurricane Joaquin sank, but that planes and ships will continue searching for the missing crew, according to 7News/whdh.com
Find out what's happening in Sudburyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The Coast Guard says it found the body of one crew member from a U.S.-based cargo ship that sank during a hurricane off the Bahamas.
Capt. Mark Fedor said Monday that an airborne crew spotted several survival suits floating amid debris from the El Faro. Most were empty but one had a body. A helicopter crew confirmed the person was dead but had to leave the body behind to continue the search for possible survivors, according to the Associated Press.
Find out what's happening in Sudburyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Massachusetts Native on Cargo Ship Lost in Hurricane
A graduate of the Massachusetts Maritime Academy is one of the 33 people on El Faro, a school official confirmed today. Keith Griffin graduated from the academy in 2005, MMA school officials said this morning.
Coast Guard search and rescue crews continued searching in the Caribbean Sea for the El Faro cargo ship Sunday, covering a total search area of more than 70,000 square nautical miles.
“The crew reported the ship had previously taken on water, but that all flooding had been contained,” the Coast Guard wrote in a media release.
More from Malden Patch
- Bread Of Life Holds A Yard Sale
- Linden S.T.E.A.M. Academy Offers A NUT Day & Early Dismissal
- Massachusetts Native on Cargo Ship Lost in Hurricane
- Patch Localstream: Malden Evening News
- Patch Localstream: Malden Catholic
Various objects have been located in the vicinity of the ship’s last known position 35 nautical miles northeast of Crooked Islands, Bahamas. Life jackets, life rings, containers and an oil sheen were located by Coast Guard aircrews within a 225 square nautical mile search area, according to the Coast Guard. That debris has not been confirmed to be from the El Faro at this time.
Coast Guard assets involved in Sunday’s search included:
- Two HC-130 Hercules airplane from Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Florida
- Coast Guard Cutter Northland, a 210-foot medium endurance cutter homeported in Portsmouth, Virginia
- An MH-60 Jayhawk from Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Florida
- Coast Guard Cutter Resolute, a 210-foot medium endurance cutter homeported in St. Petersburg, Florida
Other agencies involved in the search include the U.S. Air Force and the U.S. Navy.
HC130 aircrews headed back to the scene in search for the El Faro crew early Monday. More than 70,000 square miles searched thus far, according to the Coast Guard.
Aircrews and boat crews are not the only Coast Guardsmen to assist in the search for the missing container ship El Faro. Watchstanders have been working 24-7 gathering information regarding the missing ship.
Photo Credit: U.S. Coast Guard/photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Jon-Paul Rios

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.