Crime & Safety
'Dukes Of Hazzard' Star Arrested In Waltham Denies Grabbing Woman's Rear
After getting arrested in Waltham last week on charges he grabbed a fellow cast member, Tom Wopat of Dukes of Hazzard fame took to Facebook.

WALTHAM, MA — A week after he was arrested in Waltham and charged with possession of cocaine and indecent assault and battery for allegedly groping the rear of a fellow cast member at the Waltham High School, "The Dukes of Hazzard" star Tom Wopat said he's taking time to address his substance abuse.
Wopat pleaded not guilty July 3 to grabbing the the rear of a fellow cast member during the rehearsal for the musical "42nd Street" he was supposed to star in. Police said they found what they suspect to be cocaine in the actor's possession and that he admitted to using it.
In a statement posted to his Facebook Page Tuesday, Wopat said he was sorry for the "recent unfortunate events," which lead to him having to drop out of the Waltham production and seek time to address his struggle with substance abuse, though it did not specify whether he was going to seek rehab treatment for it. The statement apparently written by a third party went on to keep in mind the charges are allegations.
Find out what's happening in Walthamfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"He firmly denies any wrongdoing, and after thorough investigation by his defense team and a full airing of the facts, Tom has faith that the truth will be revealed and his good name will be restored," reads the statement.
(For more information on this and other neighborhood stories, subscribe to Waltham Patch to receive daily newsletters and breaking news alerts.)
Find out what's happening in Walthamfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Here it is in full:
"Tom Wopat wishes to express his deepest regrets to friends, family, and his many loyal fans concerning recent unfortunate events. As a result of this incident, Tom was forced by court order to leave a production of “42nd Street” in Waltham, Massachusetts that was due to open the next day. He is truly disappointed not to be on the stage with his fellow performers and wishes them success in this and all future endeavors.
Mr. Wopat urges everyone to keep in mind that these are allegations; he’s alleged to have improperly touched an adult female performer during rehearsal in the presence of the entire cast and directing staff. He firmly denies any wrongdoing, and after thorough investigation by his defense team and a full airing of the facts, Tom has faith that the truth will be revealed and his good name will be restored.
In the meantime, Mr. Wopat will be taking personal time to address his ongoing struggle with substance abuse. While death and illness in the family, combined with the intensity of his recent schedule, certainly contributed to his misstep, Tom definitely understands that sobriety is the sole course for a successful future and will take immediate steps to achieve it."
(For more information on this and other neighborhood stories, subscribe to Waltham Patch to receive daily newsletters and breaking news alerts.)
Photo: In this June 15, 2008 file photo, actor Tom Wopat arrives at the 62nd Annual Tony Awards in New York. (AP Photo/Peter Kramer, file)
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.