Crime & Safety

5 Springfield Officers Arraigned In Off-Duty Assault: AG

The saga has already cost the city $885,000 to settle civil rights lawsuits.

SPRINGFIELD, MA — Five Springfield police officers were arraigned Wednesday on charges of assaulting four black men while off-duty outside at a bar in 2015, Attorney General Maura Healey's Office said. It's the latest development in a costly saga that has seen the city pay $885,000 to settle civil rights lawsuits.

Not-guilty pleas were entered on behalf of Daniel Billingsley, 30, Anthony Cicero, 29, Christian Cicero, 28, Igor Basovskiy, 33, and Jameson Williams, 33. They were arraigned in Springfield District Court.

Each of the officer were charged with four counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, three counts of assault and battery, assault and battery with serious bodily injury, and conspiracy. They were released on personal recognizance and must stay away from the victims and give personal weapons to state police. The charges come after an investigation by Healey's Office and the FBI's Boston division.

Prosecutors said the officers assaulted four men outside Nathan Bills Bar & Restaurant in Springfield on April 8, 2015. The victims were beaten and kicked, with at least one of the officers using weapons, according to prosecutors.

The victims suffered significant injuries, some of which were permanent, prosecutors said.

"It was a brutal attack that left one of the individuals permanently injured and the other three attacked with dangerous weapons," Assistant Attorney General Steven Carley said, according to MassLive.

The next court date is scheduled for March 15.

John Sullivan, the bar's co-owner, also faces an assault and battery charge, MassLive reported.

Another Springfield officer, 54-year-old Jose Diaz, was previously charged in connection with the assault and pleaded not guilty to the same charges. His next court date is May 2.

Image via shutterstock