Crime & Safety

7 Worcester Firefighters Quarantined For Coronavirus

The outbreak was contained to a single fire station, Worcester city officials said.

Seven Worcester firefighters have been quarantined due to coronavirus.
Seven Worcester firefighters have been quarantined due to coronavirus. (Neal McNamara/Patch)

WORCESTER, MA — Seven Worcester firefighters are being quarantined after testing positive for coronavirus in an outbreak that exposed more than two dozen personnel, city officials said Thursday.

The outbreak was first reported last week, and many firefighters were still waiting on test results. A total of 23 tested negative for the virus. All seven who tested positive worked at the same station during the same shift.

The update came as Worcester continues to see an overall rise in cases. The city reported 137 new infections over the past week — and Worcester remains on the state's list of high-risk communities.

Worcester City Manager Edward Augustus Jr. said Thursday health officials are seeing many cases connected to family gatherings. Forty-six of the city's new cases can be traced to 21 addresses across the city, an indication families may not be taking precautions when coming together.

Dr. Michael Hirsh, Worcester's medical director, suggested that families see each other virtually during upcoming holidays. Hirsh and other health officials fear a major rise in cases as winter sets in.

"Families want to, naturally, get together and celebrate the holidays," Augustus said Thursday. "We cannot let our guard down."