Health & Fitness
Coronavirus Patient Tested At UMass Memorial In Worcester
The patient received a presumptive positive test for COVID-19 before being sent home, the hospital said.

WORCESTER, MA — A person was tested for the new coronavirus, COVID-19, at UMass Memorial Hospital in Worcester, according to a spokesperson. That person was sent home into quarantine after receiving the presumptive positive test result.
That's the first indication of a positive COVID-19 test in Worcester. State health officials have previously said that one person in Worcester County has tested positive, but have not say where that person lives.
As of Thursday afternoon, there were no patients being treated at the hospital for COVID-19. The hospital emphasized that it's "completely safe for patients, families and visitors entering into any of our system locations."
Worcester city officials are expected to give updates on the COVID-19 situation at 5 p.m. on Thursday.
UMass Memorial Hospital on Thursday also updated its visitor policy in a bid to reduce foot traffic. Patients at the hospital will only be allowed to have one visitor at a time, and visitors have to be over age 18. People exhibiting a cough or other respiratory symptoms will not be allowed to visit, however.
Read more about what UMass Memorial is doing about COVID-19 on the hospital website.