Crime & Safety
Man Accused Of Kidnapping Girl Arraigned On Attempted Murder Charges
A man accused of kidnapping a young girl, choking her, dumping her over a bridge, has now been arraigned on attempted murder charges.

WORCESTER COUNTY, MA—Bail has been doubled for the Massachusetts man accused of kidnapping a young girl, choking her, and throwing her off a bridge into Lake Quinsigamond last weekend, according to reports.
Joshua Hubert was arraigned on Tuesday in Westborough District Court on an additional charge of attempted murder, and held at $1 million bail.
Hubert, 35, Worcester, was arrested at the Worcester Police station and was initially charged with kidnapping the girl early Sunday morning. The girl survived the fall, swimming to a shore in Shrewsbury to seek help at a nearby home.
Hubert's attorney is denying that Hubert tossed anyone off of a bridge.
Attorney for Joshua Hubert doubts details of young victim's story; told police she was thrown from bridge over #Worcester lake #NBCBoston pic.twitter.com/BhhSVhS6G3
— Monica Madeja (@MonicaNBCBoston) September 5, 2017
The victim was at a family party at her grandparents’ house on Forestdale Road in Worcester, said police. Around 2:30 a.m., she was taken from that home by a "family friend" without permission, police said in a release. Hubert was reportedly a guest at the party, but took the girl without the parents' permission. The girl was reportedly had fallen asleep in a chair.
Around 3 a.m. last Sunday, the girl was discovered in Shrewsbury. She talked to Shrewsbury police, sparking a collaboration with Worcester officers and detectives as well as the Massachusetts State Police.
Worcester police issued a request from local businesses in the area of the alleged crime to help with the investigation.
Huburt was suspended from his school job last week. Rob Gustavson, head of the Fay School in Southborough, issued a notice to the community on Tuesday that addressed the incident involving Hubert.
Hubert, according to the letter, was still in a probationary period working at the school in the technology department. He had passed CORI and SORI checks, and also fingerprinting, and received recommendations. The Fay School educates students from Kindergarten to ninth grade.Hubert was hired in early July, and had only worked for seven weeks at the school.
According to the letter, Hubert has been suspended indefinitely and is not allowed on the school campus pending the police investigation. According to officials, Hubert did not have any unsupervised interactions over the past seven weeks with any students in the summer programs.
Hubert's case is continued to Oct. 25.
Photo via Shutterstock