Community Corner
State Making Big Coronavirus Vaccine Changes: Patch PM
Plus: Lawsuit alleges police assault, racist remark | School budget talks begin | Big brewer offers vaccine clinic | More

WORCESTER, MA — It's Wednesday, Feb. 17. Here's what you should know this afternoon:
- Many people may soon have no choice but to get vaccinated at mass sites after Gov. Charlie Baker announced the state would be prioritizing its largest vaccination sites over community-focused ones.
- On top of that, the state will expand vaccine eligibility beginning Thursday to include people over 65 and those with two or more special medical conditions.
- A Salem criminal defense attorney held without bail on charges he sexually assaulted an incapacitated woman while she was asleep was indicted Tuesday on rape and aggravated burglary charges.
Scroll down for those and other stories Patch has been covering in Massachusetts today.
Wednesday’s Top Story
About 1 million more people will be eligible for COVID-19 vaccinations, but there will soon be far fewer options on where to get the shots. Gov. Charlie Baker on Wednesday announced several significant changes to the vaccination rollout plan, which has been panned by residents and lawmakers over the past few weeks.
- People 65 and over and those with at least two health concerns that put them at a higher risk for serious COVID-19 complications can begin booking appointments Thursday.
- The state will start funneling more resources toward its largest vaccination sites at the expense of community-focused ones, meaning you may find yourself having to get to a mass vaccination site to be inoculated.
Baker cautioned during his Wednesday news conference that it could take up to one month for all newly eligible residents to get a first-dose appointment.
Nearby News
- Man Says Worcester Police Assaulted Him, Used Racist Remark
- Next Framingham Schools Budget May Not Be At 'Ideal Levels'
- Tree House Brewery To Host Coronavirus Vaccine Clinics
- Town Meeting Proposal Could Change Wellesley Restaurant Scene
Today’s Other Top Stories In Massachusetts
Out on an island: Nearly 100 Cape officials are calling for more coronavirus vaccinations in Barnstable County. Calling on Gov. Charlie Baker to increase supply, officials said 11.7 percent of the county's residents have received their first dose, but they worry not enough residents over 75 have been able to get vaccinated.
Defense attorney indicted on rape charges: The Salem criminal defense attorney held without bail on charges he sexually assaulted an incapacitated woman while she was asleep was indicted Tuesday on rape and aggravated burglary charges. Gary Zerola, 49, of Salem had been held without bail since Jan. 15 following a dangerousness hearing after he was accused of attending a party with the 21-year-old, then later entered her apartment after 2 a.m. and assaulted her while she was incapacitated, Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins said.
Reward For Malden man now at $10K: Federal authorities have doubled the reward for information about Qinxuan Pan, a Malden man wanted for questioning in the murder of a Yale graduate student. The U.S. Marshals said last week Pan may be in Georgia and should be considered "armed and dangerous." The reward for Pan's capture now stands at $10,000. There is a warrant for his arrest on charges of unlawful flight to avoid prosecution and interstate theft of a vehicle.
By the numbers
139,000: That’s how many doses of the coronavirus vaccine Massachusetts is promised next week — an increase from 110,000, but still well below the 240,000 doses per week for which there is the capacity to distribute.