Politics & Government
Members of Congress Rebuke Obama on Military Surplus Order
Six Republicans in Michigan congressional delegation tell president military surplus vehicles key asset in "new phase" of terrorist threat.

Six Republicans in Michiganβs congressional delegation appealed to President Obama Monday to allow local law enforcement agencies to keep surplus military vehicles the president ordered returned to restore trust between the public and police.
Local sheriffsβ departments and a national organization representing sheriffsβ offices in the nationβs largest counties have said the return of vehicles, such as tracked armored personnel carriers, leaves police at a disadvantage in responding to active shooter situations or terror attacks like the one in San Bernardino, CA, last week.
Read Also
Find out what's happening in Brightonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
- Police Peeved by Obama Order to Return Surplus Military Vehicles
- California Shootings Validated Military Surplus Vehicles: Sheriffs
The Detroit Free Press reports that U.S. Reps. Mike Bishop of Rochester, Bill Huizenga of Zeeland, Candice Miller of Harrison Township, John Moolenaar of Midland, Dave Trott of Birmingham and Fred Upton of St. Joseph signed off on a letter to President Obama that stated, in part:
βYou have registered your concerns about the perception the public could have when seeing state and local law enforcement agencies utilizing such equipment in responding to criminal situations. However, we caution you to avoid penalizing every state and local law enforcement agency β¦ for the bad acts of a few.β
Find out what's happening in Brightonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The Obama administration ordered a review of the use of surplus military equipment last January after complaints about the militarization of local police agencies surfaced during the 2014 Ferguson, MO, riots that erupted after the police shooting of Michael Brown, who was unarmed.
βSo weβre going to prohibit some equipment made for the battlefield that is not appropriate for local police departments,β he said.
In the letter, Michiganβs Republican congressional officials took note of the San Bernardino situation, which Obama cited in an address from the Oval Office Sunday night as an indication that βthe terrorist threat has evolved into a new phase.β
They wrote that βlocal police and emergency personnel are on the front lines of this new phase of the terroristsβ war against us,β and said it βstands to reasonβ that surplus military equipment should remain in the hands of local police agencies.
Both Oakland and Macomb county sheriffsβ offices were required to return tracked armored personnel carriers theyβve used in SWAT team responses.
Β» Photo via Oakland County Sheriffβs Office
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.