Crime & Safety
Man Threatens To Blow Up Metro Detroit Mosques, Rams 11 Vehicles: Cops
Police said they arrested a man driving from Minneapolis to Detroit who threatened to blow up numerous mosques around metro Detroit.
DEARBORN, MI — A man was arrested in Paw Paw on Tuesday after police said he rammed 11 vehicles and threatened to blow up numerous mosques in the metro Detroit area.
Police did not find any weapons or explosives inside the man's sedan during the arrest, Dearborn police said. He was placed in the Van Buren County Jail, as charges were pending.
The 60-year-old man had been driving from Minneapolis to Detroit when, about 2 p.m. Tuesday, he rammed into vehicles driven by persons of color, police said.
Find out what's happening in Dearbornfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
As officers arrested the driver, he continued to make disparaging remarks about women and minorities, police said.
The man did not enter Dearborn, and police said there were no known threats to the public. However, after learning of the threat, Dearborn police stationed officers at all mosques in Dearborn as a precaution, police said.
Find out what's happening in Dearbornfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Officials said they believe the man was working alone.
Since the incident involves houses of worship, the FBI picked up the case and was continuing to investigate.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.